Paleo & Whole30 compliant shrimp and cauliflower “fried rice” is a delicious, low-calorie , veggie-packed substitute for your favorite takeout meal! The best part is, it only take 10 minutes to whip up 🙂
It took me a LONG time to catch on to this cauliflower rice trend. Like, how could it possibly substitute rice? HOW? But look at that picture! If I didn’t tell you it was cauliflower, you’d never know. I’ve made fresh cauliflower rice before, (just chop up a head of cauliflower into florets and pulse it in a food processor until it looks like rice) but I just discovered the wonder that is FROZEN cauliflower rice. They started selling it in my Publix, (I believe Green Giant and BirdsEye brands both make frozen rices cauliflower!) and it’s a huge life saver. This makes healthy dinners such a breeze, and always on hand in a pinch!
So, not only did I take a long time to jump on the cauliflower rice bandwagon, I also had a traumatic first experience with it. A few months ago I did one of those stupid diets where you only eat protein shakes and like 100 calories of plain vegetables at meal times, (shocker it didn’t work out). The first day I made cauliflower rice for dinner in a hail-mary hope that it might trick me into thinking it was carbs. Boy was I miserable, (and the diet only lasted one day). Lucky for us all I gave cauliflower rice another try, and it’s actually quite delicious with all these wonderful asian flavors and crunchy vegetables.
One last note: I used frozen BirdsEye riced cauliflower, frozen shrimp, and a bag of frozen Japanese Blend veggies. You can ABSOLUTELY make this with all fresh ingredients and keep in the 10-minute time frame, but there is something about knowing you have an amazing, healthy shrimp and cauliflower “fried rice” meal waiting to be made whenever in your freezer that’s really comforting. When all my fresh produce is gone and I really don’t feel like going anywhere, I know this veggie-packed, home-cooked meal is always waiting for me. You really can’t beat that.
- 1 bag of Frozen Riced Cauliflower, (alternatively, you could pulse fresh cauliflower in a food processor until it resembled rice)
- 1 lb bag of frozen, peeled & deveined shrimp, (fresh would also work here)
- 14-oz bag of mixed "Japanese Blend" frozen veggies, (~2 cups of broccoli, green beans, red peppers, and mushrooms, but you can use whatever veggies you like!)
- 1 Tbsp. sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (or 1 tsp garlic powder)
- 1" piece of fresh ginger, minced, (or 1 tsp ground ginger)
- ¼ cup coconut amigos or low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. Sriracha or red pepper flakes
- Optional toppings: sliced green onion, sesame seeds, fresh cilantro
- Steam your frozen cauliflower and veggies in the microwave according to package instructions. De-thaw the shrimp in room temperature water for 5 minutes. If you're using fresh ingredients, there is no need to pre-cook them.
- In a large skillet or wok, heat the sesame oil over medium-high heat and add the garlic and ginger. Stir, and let cook for 30 seconds, (be careful not to burn it!)
- Add in the veggies, cauliflower rice, and shrimp, and let brown for a 2-3 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the coconut amino or soy sauce and Sriracha. Pour that into the skillet and let the stir fry cook 1-2 more minutes, (more if you'd like your veggies softer).
- Pour it in a bowl and top with green onions, sesame seeds, and cilantro if you'd like!
Leave a reply