Pickled red onions are so easy if you make them in a mason jar! No boiling needed: just shake it all up!
These pickled red onions are so quick and easy, (I’m talking less than 5 minutes) you should always keep some in your fridge! They last for weeks and are freaking delicious on almost everything. SO worth it.
Typically, when you pickle a veggie, you need to boil the water and vinegar so the sugar can dissolve. With a mason jar, just use warm/hot water, screw the lid on tight, and shake! Plus, how nice is it that you don’t have to get any extra dishes or pots dirty? You can store the onions right in the jar. Such a win-win.
In fact, one of my first recipes on my site was for Perfect Avocado Toast with Easy Pickled Onions. I’ve been obsessed ever since. I can genuinely say these are delicious on most foods, but recently we’ve been eating them during our weekly taco night! They were di-vine this week paired with spicy gochujang steak tacos, and I’m totally putting them on the Crispy Crockpot Carnitas with Spicy Avocado Crema that are in my slow cooker right now. Basically, they are perfect anytime you need something sour and crunchy with your meal.
- 1 red onion, peeled, halved, and sliced
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ cup warm water
- Add the onion slices to a 12 oz. mason jar with a lid.
- Pour in apple cider vinegar, sugar, and salt. Add enough warm water until the jar is almost full.
- Put the lid on the mason jar and shake vigorously until the sugar dissolves.
- Put the jar in the fridge to store; they'll last a couple weeks!
Leave a reply