Extra Veggies Green Smoothie
Sure, my classic Detox Green Smoothie with Chia Seeds is a hit on Pinterest, (rightly so, it’s delicious) but as I drink more and more smoothies, I’m leaning away from fruit and towards more veggies and health benefits. Please allow me to introduce you to my latest obsession, my Extra Veggies Green Smoothie, which is a more ~intermediate~ level of smoothie. I still think it tastes really good, but if you aren’t used to green smoothies, it may not be sweet enough for you. For me? It’s the best late summer breakfast possible.
My extra veggies green smoothie idea was birthed one day after an over-abundance of zucchini landed on my counter after a farmer’s market haul. Since I drink smoothies every day, I knew the fastest way to work through all of that zucchini was to throw it in my smoothies! Zoodles are good, but there are only so many meals you can make with those…
I found I couldn’t taste the zucchini at all, similar to zoodles or zucchini bread, it just blends right in and adapts to the other flavors. It gives the smoothie a nice thickness and heartiness that you usually can only get by adding more frozen fruit. It also doesn’t hurt that you’re getting a LOT of vegetable action before your day even begins! Check out those nutrition stats below the recipe- this smoothie is stacked! Plus, at ~400 calories, you know it will keep you full and energized for at least 4 hours.
- 1/2 banana (not pictured), I like mine frozen to keep the smoothie cold
- 1/2 cup baby kale or spinach, a mild green
- 1/2 zucchini, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 avocado
- chia seeds & flax seeds for fiber and protein
- unsweetened almond milk, (but any nut milk or oat milk would work too!)
Sometimes, I like to mix things up. The base smoothie is great on it’s own, but these add-ins are also delicious:
- fresh ginger, for digestion
- almond butter, or any other nut butter, to make it extra filling
- pineapple, for added sweetness
- ½ banana (preferably frozen)
- ½ cup kale or spinach
- ½ zucchini, peeled and chopped
- ½ avocado
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds
- 2 Tbsp flax seeds
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- Add everything to a blender, and blend on the highest speed for at least 20 seconds until completely smooth.