Delicious, easy, and healthy greek chicken meal prep bowls with whole grains, a cucumber salad, and homemade tzatziki sauce. Everything for about 400 calories! Happy Sunday, also known as meal prep day! This week we have healthy greek chicken meal prep bowls which feature my out-of-this-world greek seasoning, (also amazing on kabobs and pot roast) on perfectly roasted chicken breast, a tangy greek salad with cucumber, tomatoes, onions, and olives, chewy whole grain farro, and THE BEST FREAKING TZATZIKI EVER. Did you know you can make it in like 5 minutes? Life changing.
Will this homemade tzatziki make Monday bearable? Maybe not, but it will definitely give me something to look forward to all morning.
It’s actually way easier than I ever imagined. You just grate half a cucumber on a cheese grater, (a standing box grater is definitely the easiest way to go here) and then use paper towels to squeeze out all the moisture. Stir in greek yogurt and a little seasoning and voila! Plus, greek yogurt is healthy, right? This creamy condiment is a win-win. Ok next we have the most amazing seasoning known to man. Yes, it’s a lot of ingredients. Yes, it’s worth it.
(You can make a big batch of the seasoning with this recipe or with the infographic below)
So let’s talk about chicken for a second. Here, I use 1 lb of boneless, skinless chicken breast cut into 4 equal portions. That’s perfect, because 4 oz of chicken is the recommended serving size for women and basically every diet ever. I’ve discovered this new, (well new to me) chicken at my Publix called Springer Mountain and it’s these perfectly portioned and individually wrapped chicken breasts all ready to go. Organic, grass-fed, (somehow cheaper?) and totally yummier than any other grocery store chicken I’ve had. I say all that because these 4 ounce-ers probably only need 15 minutes in a 450 degree oven because of their size. If you’re portioning on your own, or cooking the whole breast as once, you may need to add more time.
Cook a big batch of farro, (or quinoa or brown rice) and make the quick salad and THERE YA GO. Lunch for the whole week that’s pretty, and the definition of well-rounded and healthy.
Have a great week you meal-prepping pros!
- 1 cup whole milk greek yogurt
- 1 cucumber
- 1 tsp garlic powder, divided
- 2½ tsp salt, divided
- 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 Tbsp. white vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. dill, (minced fresh dill, dried dill weed, or dill paste all work fine)
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into 4- 4oz. portions
- Non-stick cooking spray
- ¾ Tbsp. Italian seasoning
- ½ tsp corn starch
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 cup dried farro (or other whole grain like quinoa or brown rice)
- 15-20 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- ¼ red onion, diced
- 15-20 pitted & halved black olives, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 lemon, juiced
- To make the homemade tzatziki: grate ½ a cucumber and transfer to a fine mesh strainer. Using several paper towels, squeeze all the extra water out of the cucumber.
- Add the shredded cucumber to a medium bowl with the greek yogurt, ½ tsp garlic powder, ½ tsp salt, 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, 1 Tbsp. white vinegar, and 1 Tbsp. dill. Stir, and cover in the fridge until ready to use.
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees, and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- To make the greek seasoning, combine 1 tsp salt, ¾ Tbsp. Italian seasoning,1 tsp garlic powder, ½ tsp corn starch, ½ tsp black pepper, ½ tsp onion powder, ½ tsp paprika, ¼ tsp ground cinnamon, and ¼ tsp ground nutmeg.
- Lay the 4 chicken breast portions on the baking sheet and coat evenly with the greek seasoning. Spray again with non-stick cooking spray and bake the chicken in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, cook your farro or other whole grain according to package directions.
- Make your greek salad: dice the other half of the cucumber, quarter the cherry tomatoes, dice your red onion, and chop the olives. Mix all the ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Season the salad with 1 tsp salt, some freshly cracked black pepper, 1 Tbsp. olive oil, 1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar, and the juice of one lemon. Stir.
- Portion everything evenly among 4 tupperware containers, (or plates if you want to eat it now!). ½ cup cooked farro, 1 chicken breast, ¼ of the greek salad, and ¼ of the tzatziki.
- Keep covered in the fridge for lunches all week!