If you knew how easy it was to make a copycat of California Pizza Kitchen Barbecue Chicken Pizza, you’d never have to leave your house for it again! Store-bought rotisserie chicken and pre-made pizza dough increase the easy-factor exponentially with no sacrifice to flavor. Plus you get to make it on a sheet pan in 10 minutes with almost no cleanup 😉
As normal human beings, Taylor and I LOVE pizza.
Since we are both full time employees and full time students, some would say we are OBSESSED with pizza. I’ll admit, most of the time our go-to pizza is frozen, but sometimes we splurge, decide to leave our couch, and order California Pizza Kitchen Barbecue Chicken Pizza. One day it occurred to me that there is nothing complicated to this recipe, which is probably why it’s so delicious.
Is anyone else obsessed with rotisserie chicken from the grocery store? Most of the time I pick off all the yummy, hot chicken and just eat it standing at the kitchen counter. BUT, rotisserie chicken is actually so amazing because it lets you take lots of short cuts in cooking time, just like in my recent recipe Spicy Coconut Curry Noodles.
I also buy pre-made pizza dough from the bakery at my Publix because pizza is meant to be a lazy person’s delicacy. If you’re feeling adventurous though, my favorite blogger Ree has an amazing recipe for homemade pizza dough.
To make the pizza:
I just shred up some rotisserie chicken, (usually it’s leftover in my fridge already) and coat it with your favorite bbq sauce. Because my boyfriend is Puerto Rican and everything we eat is spicy, we used a sweet and spicy barbecue sauce that put this recipe over-the-top good. Then you just slice up some red onion, use a whole pack of mozzarella cheese, and bake! Boom. Quicker, easier, and better than driving your butt to a restaurant.
- Pizza Dough, store bought or homemade
- Pam, or non-stick cooking spray
- Rotisserie chicken, shredded
- ¾ cup of your favorite barbecue sauce
- ¼ Red onion, sliced
- 1 bag shredded mozzarella cheese
- Fresh cilantro for topping
- Preheat your oven to 500 degrees, and spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray, (for bonus points, line your baking sheet with aluminum foil for zero cleanup!)
- Stretch your pizza dough to fit the shape of the baking sheet. Spread about ½ cup of your favorite barbecue sauce on the dough as the sauce.
- Toss about ½ cup of shredded rotisserie chicken with ¼ cup of the barbecue sauce. Spread the chicken evenly over the pizza.
- Sprinkle half the bag of mozzarella cheese over the pizza evenly. Place the sliced onions evenly over the pizza, and top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the cheese is golden brown and bubbly, but the crust is not burned.
- Sprinkle with chopped fresh cilantro and slice!