It’s too easy to make slow cooker chicken tacos. They shouldn’t be this good.
Two ingredients and about 30 seconds of effort will give you spicy slow cooker chicken tacos topped with all your favorite vices. My vices like sour cream, cheese, guacamole, queso make it more that two ingredients, but you get the picture 😉
This is the easiest dinner on the planet. It’s only two ingredients, yet Taylor asks me to make it week after week, (he’s Puerto Rican, he can’t help himself). Fine by me- I spend 30 seconds before work throwing chicken breast and salsa into a slow cooker, and come home just in time for me to inhale them in 2 minutes before heading to class. I wish you knew how often I make these.
The inspiration for this came to me a year or two ago when I was on a health kick. I was trying one of those Buzzfeed Clean Eating challenges and made this salsa verde chicken. Let me tell you I was SHOCKED at how good the chicken was considering it was two ingredients and had no seasoning. I did, however, immediately think of how amazing tacos would be with the chicken instead of cauliflower rice. Who am I kidding, everything is better in taco form.
Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos
Okay here we go:
Step 1. Put chicken in slow cooker. You don’t even need to season it.
Step 2. Dump all the salsa on the chicken.
Step 3. Set it and forget it!
Step 4: Shred the chicken and assemble tacos
Step 5: Devour a minimum of 3 salsa verde chicken tacos
Once you master this dump-and-go dinner mentality this recipe will give you endless possibilities.
- Swap from salsa verde to red salsa and people will think you’re an innovative chef
- Go traditional with toppings: lettuce, sour cream, and cheese
- Switch it up island style: mango, avocado, jalapeño salsa
- Use pork
- Heck, even use pot roast/chuck roast for beef tacos
- T’s favorite way I make them is adding sliced red onion and red bell pepper the last 30 minutes of cooking and drizzling them with Gordo’s queso *drools*
Going to work? Put it on low before you leave, and come back 8 or 9 hours later. Is it the weekend? Just put it on high for 3 hours instead.
It’s hard to rationalize slaving away all day when crowd-pleasing happiness is this easy and customizable.
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 jar salsa verde (I prefer hot)
- Pack of soft taco shells
- Optional Toppings: shredded cheese, lime, cilantro, sliced onion, sliced red bell pepper, sour cream
- Place the chicken breast in the bottom of a slow cooker and cover with the whole jar of salsa verde.
- Cook on high for 3 hours, shred the chicken with two forks, and continue cooking 30 more minutes.
- (This is when I add some sliced peppers and onions, and let them cook with the chicken the last 30 minutes, but the toppings are up to you!)
- Divide shredded chicken between tortillas. Serve with your favorite toppings: shredded cheese, a squeeze of lime, sliced onions and peppers, sour cream, and fresh cilantro. EAT!
Leave a reply