In my house we order pep&pep pizza: pepperoni and green bell pepper. Add a little crushed red pepper flakes and parmesan cheese for ultimate heaven. However, sometimes my pants don’t zip so I have to improvise. Pizza spaghetti squash has all of the yummy, saucy pizza flavor you know and crave minus the carbs. If you’ve never tried it, I understand if you’re skeptical. Seriously though it’s freaking delicious.
Okay look at how adorable these mini pepperonis are though! But you can make this with any pizza toppings your heart desires. I feel like a little bbq chicken vibe might be super delicious, like in my Copycat California Pizza Kitchen Barbecue Chicken Pizza, or maybe some chicken bacon ranch made simple with store-bought rotisserie chicken? Veggie lovers, mediterranean, or proscuitto and arugula? Okay I need to stop before I go make all of those.
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 jar pizza sauce
- Pizza toppings, (whatever you like!) I use mini pepperonis and green bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Crushed red pepper flakes for servings
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Microwave the spaghetti squash for 3 minutes to make it easier to cut.
- Cut the spaghetti squash in half, lengthwise, and scoop out the seeds.
- Drizzle the olive oil over the cut sides of the squash, and season with salt and pepper.
- Place the squash cut sides down on a baking sheet, and bake for 40 minutes.
- When the squash is done, use a fork to scrape the insides, (they will resemble noodles!)
- Fill each half with some pizza sauce, (I used about ½ cup per side) and sprinkle generously with mozzarella cheese.
- Add your toppings! Put as much pepperoni and peppers, (or whatever else you want to use) on top of the squash. Sprinkle with some parmesan cheese and red pepper flakes to top it off.
- Bake an additional 20 minutes until the cheesy is golden and bubbly.
Ugh look at that MELTY BUBBLY GOLDEN CHEESE. That’s happiness right there.