Okay no joke this is the best butternut squash soup I’ve ever had. It has so much spice and fall flavor, I just can’t stop eating it. I also can’t stop dipping roll after roll after roll into this thick and creamy bowl of heaven. There’s nothing better than chilly fall nights, warm crusty bread, a big glass of wine, and a hot bowl of soup. IS THERE? Okay maybe my fantasy has a crackling fire place and a furry kitten curled up too. I’ll get there one day.
Um, you can also make this in a crockpot, so hallelujah. You can also make this in a regular pot if you’d like too. No judging here.
But you know me. Gotta prep ahead. Here’s a terrible picture of my nighttime prep- just throw it all in a bag. The best part about creamy soups is that everything is going to be blended up later so you don’t really need to waste time chopping. Don’t you love how lazy I am with the pre-shredded salad carrots? Innovator.
I also by pre-peeled and diced butternut squash. It’s just one of those vegetables you only make the mistake of buying whole once. After nearly losing an arm and my temper, I pay $2 extra dollars for convenience.
Okay, so in the morning just dump it in your crockpot! This is what it looks like when I came home. Not super pretty yet, but we’ll get there soon.
Now add some coconut milk for rich creaminess and gorgeous mustardy color. Wow that word does not sound appetizing. Also spend $20 on an immersion blender immediately. It’s a life changer.
Oster 2613 2-Speed 250-Watt Hand Blender, Red
Ugh this is just fall comfort food at its finest. Sweet butternut squash and apple, spicy ginger and cayenne, earthy sage, creamy coconut milk. Yesssssss.
I literally couldn’t stop taking pictures of it.
So do yourself a favor and spend 5 minutes throwing this together. Your tongue will thank you.
- 2 cups butternut squash, peeled, seeded and diced, (fresh, pre-cut, or frozen all work)
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 granny smith apples, peeled, cored, and diced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 white onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 quart low-sodium chicken stock, (or vegetable stock to keep it vegan)
- 1 sprig fresh sage, (3-4 leaves)
- 1 tsp each salt and pepper
- ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper
- Pinch each of ground ginger, nutmeg, and ground cinnamon
- 1 can coconut milk
- Add all ingredients except the coconut milk to a slow cooker, and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or on high for 3-4, (it's a forgiving soup).
- Stir in the coconut milk, and blend the soup until smooth and creamy either using an immersion blender or transferring the soup in batches to a standing blender.
- Serve with warm crusty bread 🙂