I just finished wolfing down 4 of these babies, and now I’m sitting in class. Pretending to take notes, but actually writing this. Go Ally. These crockpot chicken fajitas are my literal definition of happiness. Or at least top five somewhere along with naps, wine, cats, and beaches. But honestly anything that smells and tastes this good should not be this easy. While it was simmering away all day while I was in the office, poor Taylor was working from home texting me, “holy crap this smell is glorious”.
Last night I spent 10 minutes slicing veggies, adding seasonings, and putting all the yummy ingredients in a ziplock bag in the fridge. This morning I dumped it all in the crockpot. It was looking so pretty and colorful, so I actually took a picture for once.
You can use any peppers you want, but mixing up the colors really helps to give you the authentic, colorful fajita look. Bottom line it’s pretty, so just do it.
Want to know what’s even better, though? Coming home to this. HIIIIIIIIII
So take these glorious crockpot chicken fajitas and gather all your favorite toppings.
Prepare to eat way more than you expected.
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- salt and pepper
- 3 bell peppers, sliced into thin strips, (get one in each color for pretty, flavorful fajitas!)
- 1 poblano pepper, sliced into thin strips, (use a serrano or habanero for spicier fajitas)
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1- 14 oz can diced tomatoes and green chiles, (choose your spice level: mild, medium, or hot!)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- Tortillas, for serving
- Optional garnishes: shredded lettuce, cilantro, limes, shredded cheese, salsa, guacamole, or sour cream. Whatever your heart desires!
- Add chicken, peppers, onions, garlic, and all seasoning to a slow cooker.
- Pour the can of diced tomatoes over everything, stirring to evenly coat the chicken and veggies.
- Cook on low for 7-8 hours, or on high for 3-4.
- After the time has passed, shred the chicken with two forks and return to the slow cooker. Turn the heat level to warm, and let the chicken absorb the juices until you're ready to eat.
- Serve with warmed tortillas and all your favorite toppings!
Leave a reply