I totally sucked at making rice until I discovered the Instant Pot. No joke, I’d screw it up somehow every time and just accept the fact I would eat instant rice forever. No more, friends!! The Instant Pot will make absolutely perfect rice for you, every single time. And I highly suggest trying out this Instant Pot Coconut Rice. Sweet, salty, and completely addicting.
I found the original, stovetop recipe for this in Chrissy Teigen’s cookbook, Cravings: Recipes for All the Food You Want to Eat. I just could NOT make this rice work on the stovetop. It was me, not you, Chrissy. I tried the rock hard, inedible rice anyway and, my god, the flavors were so incredible I knew I had to try again.
This Instant Pot hack is a gift from above, friends. I highly recommend this rice with any kind of spicy, saucy Asian food. We had it with grilled barbecue chicken and pineapple salsa- also amazing. And then I had it cold, right out of the fridge. I’m having a hard time imagining anything this wouldn’t go with…
- 1.5 cups jasmine rice, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 oz.) can full-fat coconut milk
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1.5 tsp. salt
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- Thoroughly wash and drain the jasmine rice- this step is critical!
- In your Instant Pot, add the 1.5 cups rice, coconut milk, sugar, and salt.
- Refill the 14 oz. can with water, (or you can measure out 1¾ cup) and add that to the Instant Pot.
- Stir, then secure the lid and seal the vent.
- Cook this for 12 minutes on "manual". When the time is up, wait 10 more minutes with the lid sealed, (this is a "natural release", and the "keep warm" time on the Instant Pot will count the 10 minutes for you).
- After waiting 10 minutes, open the lid away from you and release the rest of the steam.
- Fluff the rice with a fork, and stir in the coconut shreds.
Leave a reply