Cue the hallelujah chorus because this one is EPIC. Best-thing-I’ve-ever-ate epic, (although Taylor tells me I say that about everything).
My mom just made this for us Christmas morning and I can safely say I ate about half the pan (serving size: 6). I knew I had to make this when I got home with the addition of bacon and some maple syrup because why not? I already picture this being my go-to breakfast recipe for company or even as a gift, (it’s easy to pre-assemble, refrigerate, and then bake off later!)
These pictures are making my stomach rumble. Thank god I have leftovers!
Ahh, that’s what happiness looks like. Now who’s ready for a nap?
- 6 strips bacon, fried and crumbled
- 1 lb. pork sausage
- 2 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 small onion, diced
- Salt and pepper
- Red pepper flakes
- Cooking spray or butter, for greasing the pan
- 2 lb. bag frozen hash browns, thawed
- 5 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ tsp. onion powder
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- 12 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
- Hot sauce, for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Fry 5 strips of bacon in a large frying pan until deep golden brown and crispy. Cool on a paper towel, and then crumble.
- Drain bacon fat, and return pan over medium heat.
- Add the sausage, maple syrup, and onion to the pan. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and a pinch of red pepper flakes, (more if your family can handle it!). Stir and break apart the sausage with a wooden spoon until it's no longer pink and in small crumbles.
- Grease a large baking dish (at least two quarts) with cooking spray or butter.
- Add the hash browns in a layer on the bottom.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, onion and garlic powder. Season with salt and pepper. Pour over hash browns.
- Top hash browns with ½ the shredded cheese.
- Put the sausage and onions in a single layer over the hash browns and cheese. Sprinkle the rest of the cheese over the sausage layer.
- Sprinkle the crumbled bacon over the top layer.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 1 hour.
- After an hour, remove the foil and bake 10 more minutes until a knife comes out clean from the center of the casserole.
- Serve with hot sauce!