Easy and delicious beer chili with jalapeño cheddar cornbread muffins. Could anything be better for chilly fall nights and football Sunday’s?
Beer Chili with Jalapeño Cheddar Cornbread Muffins
Easy and delicious chili with jalapeño cheddar cornbread muffins.
Serves: 4-6 servings
- 1 lb. ground pork
- 1 lb. ground sirloin
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 Tbsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 whole habanero pepper, pierced with a fork
- 6 oz. can tomato paste
- 3- 14 oz. cans chili beans (i like to use one mild, one medium, and one hot!)
- 1- 12 oz. beer, (stouts and lagers are good here!)
- 14 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 box Jiffy corn muffin mix
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- Optional chili toppings: shredded cheese, sour cream, diced red onion, cilantro, or tortilla chips
- Heat a large soup pot or dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add the ground pork and ground sirloin, and cook, breaking the meat up with a wooden spoon, for about 5 minutes until it's starting to brown.
- Add in the diced red onion, and sprinkle with a tsp. of salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin, and a ½ tsp. ground cinnamon. Stir, and let cook 5 more minutes until meat is cooked through and onions are soft. Make sure all the meat is broken up and bite-sized.
- Add the garlic, and stir.
- Pierce a habanero pepper several times with a fork, and add to the pot whole. This will give good flavor without making the chili overly spicy.
- Add in the tomato paste, beans, beer, and tomato sauce. Season with a pinch more of salt and pepper. Stir, and bring to a boil. Once boiling, lower the heat and let simmer, covered, for at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the muffins. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a muffin pan or use paper baking cups.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine Jiffy mix, egg, milk, shredded cheddar, and diced jalapeño.
- Fill muffin tin cups ⅔ way full, (I got about 6 muffin's worth), and bake 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
- When chili is done, turn off the heat and let cool for 10 minutes. Serve in bowls topped with your favorite fixins! I like shredded cheese, diced red onion, sour cream, crumbled tortilla chips, and jalapeño cheddar cornbread muffins!
Leave a reply