Make this simple, healthier version of creamy tomato basil soup in around 20 minutes! The flavor is out-of-this-world thanks to a few secret ingredients…
Soup season, oh how I love you. When I can eat grilled cheese and tomato soup for dinner with no judgement that’s when I know it’s time to get my winter bod going. This weekend I made tomato soup that’s WAY BETTER than anything in a can so just take 20 minutes so make this happen, k? It’ll be worth it.
A few Very Important Things to mention about this particular creamy tomato basil soup that make it 1,000x better than your average tomato soup:
- It’s made creamy from Greek yogurt aka it’s healthy
- Using fire roasted tomatoes instead of regular tomatoes makes the soup come out smoky and wonderful
- Secret ingredient #1: cinnamon! Weird, right? Us Ohioans put it in our chili and honestly you don’t even taste it. It just gives the soup a warm, spiciness you can’t put your finger on. Try it.
- Secret ingredient #2: orange juice! First of all, it doesn’t make the soup taste like orange juice, it just gives it some healthier sweetness, (I add a lot of red pepper flakes so sweetness is necessary). Sweetness helps balance the acidic tomatoes, and then it prevents your from adding a ton of refined sugar (although I did add a little pinch).
- Invest in an immersion blender to blend the soup to super creamy perfection directly in the pot. Save yourself the time and hassle. They are only like $20.
Finally, and perhaps most importantly, don’t forget the grilled cheese. I used whole grain bread and sharp cheddar cheese. Highly recommend, (plus you can eat 2 or 3 and not feel guilty, right??).
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 red onion, roughly chopped
- ½ tsp. salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- ⅓ cup orange juice
- ½ cup torn basil leaves
- 28 oz. can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- ½ tsp. sugar
- ½ cup plain greek yogurt
- Freshly chopped basil, for serving
- Heat oil in a large, heavy pot over medium heat.
- Add the onions and season with a pinch of salt, pepper, cinnamon, and red pepper flakes, (more or less depending on how spicy you like it). Stir, and let cook 3 minutes until onions start to get soft.
- Add in the minced garlic, and let cook about 30 seconds before adding in the chicken stock, orange juice, basil, tomatoes, and sugar.
- Stir, and raise the heat to medium-high. Let the soup come to a boil and cook for about 8-10 minutes.
- Taste the soup and adjust for seasoning, (add salt, pepper, red pepper flakes or sugar based on your preferences).
- Remove the soup from the heat, and use an immersion blender to puree the soup completely smooth. Alternatively, you could transfer the soup to a traditional blender in batches (carefully!) and return it to the pot.
- Off the heat, stir the greek yogurt into the blended soup and stir until completely combined.
- Serve the soup topped with more fresh basil and maybe a grilled cheese sandwich on the side!
Leave a reply