Lightened Up Chicken Gnocchi Soup was a natural result of my recent discovery of homemade chicken stock and OH MAN is it good. Juicy, shredded rotisserie chicken, chewy and pillowy gnocchi, and a creamy soul-warming broth. This is comfort food in a bowl WITHOUT the cream or butter! WIN.
The luscious, creamy broth is created by using a 5oz can of evaporated milk instead of a roux or heavy cream. You can have two or three bowls and boy is it worth every drop.
Also, this soup is SOUP-er quick and easy due to the rotisserie chicken and quick-cooking gnocchi. We’re talking epic dinner on the table in less than 30 minutes.
To make this a really satisfying, impressive meal, add some crusty bread for dipping, a sprinkle of parmesan on top, and maybe a side green salad. Perfection.
Oh, and make extra because these “four servings” lasted me like 30 minutes. Not even ashamed about it.
- 1 Tbsp. bacon grease or olive oil
- 1 white onion, diced
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- A few sprigs of fresh thyme and rosemary, (alternatively you could use 1 Tbsp. dried poultry seasoning)
- ½ tsp dried basil
- Salt & pepper
- 2 quarts of chicken stock
- 1- 5oz can evaporated milk
- 1- 12oz package of gnocchi
- 3 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 2 cups shredded, cooked chicken, (I used rotisserie chicken)
- Grated parmesan cheese for serving
- In a large dutch oven or pot heat oil over medium heat.
- Add the onions, carrots, and celery, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir and add the garlic and seasonings. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper and let cook one more minute.
- Pour in the chicken stock and evaporated milk, stir, and raise the heat until it comes to a boil.
- Once the soup is at a boil, add the gnocchi and cook according to package instructions, (probably around 3 minutes).
- Lower the heat to low and stir in the spinach and cooked chicken. Let the spinach wilt and the chicken warm through, which will take about two more minutes.
- Serve warm with parmesan cheese and crusty bread.