You guys, I’ve never loved a vegetarian sandwich so much. This is not your standard hummus and veggies vegetarian option, this is NEXT LEVEL. I promise even a die-hard meat eater will love this Green Goddess sandwich with chickpea avocado mash, creamy goat cheese, and zippy pesto mayo.
Vegetarian Green Goddess Sandwich with Chickpea Avocado Mash, Goat Cheese, and Pesto Mayo
Chickpea Avocado Mash
First of all, we need to talk about the glorious creation that is chickpea avocado mash. 1 can chickpeas + 1 ripe, creamy avocado + lemon juice + minced shallots + red pepper flakes = mashy heaven. Just give all the ingredients a quick whirl in the food processor, and you have the most amazing spread for a sandwich, wrap, toast, ANYTHING. I’d just eat it off a spoon if I’m being honest.
And then the idea of pesto mayo came into my brain since we’re in the whole green goddess theme here. I kept it classy, aka super non-fancy, and just squirted a little mayo on some whole grain bread and swirled up pesto mayo right there on the slice. Very convenient since I had a jar of pesto already open in the fridge from making Pesto Spaghetti Squash with Roasted Red Peppers this week, but homemade would obviously be wonderful and above-and-beyond.
And just because you’re worth it, put a little goat cheese on one slice. So creamy and dreamy and salty and tangy.
To put it all together, (and keeping in the green goddess spirit) add some lettuce, sprouts, cucumber, green pepper, or any other yummy crunchy green veggie. YUM. Packing these for lunches all week since they’re healthy, filling, and full of good whole grains and protein.
- 4 slices of whole grain bread
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 avocado, pitted and flesh scooped out
- 1 shallot, minced or ¼ cup white onion, diced small
- Juice of ½ lemon
- ⅛ tsp red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper
- 2 oz goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 tbsp mayo
- 1 tbsp pesto, jarred or homemade
- lettuce, sprouts, and/or sliced cucumber for topping
- To make the chickpea avocado mash, combine drained chickpeas, the flesh of 1 avocado, lemon juice, shallot, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper in a food processor. Slowly pulse the mash until it is combined, chunky, and spreadable, but not completely pureed and smooth.
- To make the pesto mayo, combine equal parts mayo and prepared pesto.
- Spread about 1 tbsp of the pesto mayo on a slice of whole grain bread, and top with 1 oz crumbled goat cheese.
- Add half the chickpea avocado mash mixture, and top with lettuce, sprouts, and/or sliced cucumber. Top with the other slice of bread, and toast if desired.
- Makes 2 sandwiches.
Leave a reply