This healthy southwest breakfast scramble is Whole30 approved, paleo, keto, and overall a great clean eating start to your morning!
This is the healthy breakfast that dreams are made of. I’m doing the Whole30 this month, but that doesn’t mean I have to give up delicious food! Just look at this freaking plate: Healthy Southwest Breakfast Scramble + Two Tone Air Fryer Potatoes + avocado + EXTRA bacon 😉
If you know me, I’m not typically an egg fan, but I’ve been slowly incorporating eggs into my breakfast little by little. This is usually accomplished by hiding them in lots of potatoes or hot sauce, and I ain’t mad about it. This combo is freakin’ AMAZING. I ordered something similar a couple weeks ago sitting at a little diner in Henderson, NV with my hubby and sister the day before Christmas Eve and I surprised everyone by scarfing down every bite. I knew I had to recreate it the moment I got home and I wasn’t disappointed!
Here’s what goes into my Healthy Southwest Breakfast Scramble:
- red bell pepper
- hot green chiles
So easy to customize to your liking! I also only use one egg per serving, but you can definitely use more than that.
- 8 slices of bacon
- ¼ onion, diced
- ½ bell pepper, diced
- Two 4 oz. cans of hot diced green chiles
- 4 handfuls of spinach
- 4 eggs, whisked (you can totally double this!)
- salt and pepper
- Avocado, for serving
- In a large skillet, fry 8 slices of bacon until crisp. Remove from the pan and let cool on some paper towels. Drain all but 2 Tbsp. of the bacon grease from the skillet.
- Over medium-low heat, sautée the onions and bell peppers in the bacon grease for ~5 minutes.
- Add in the two cans of green chiles, juices and all, and stir. Now add in the spinach and stir, (the liquid from the chiles will help the spinach wilt).
- Chop the bacon into bite-sized bits.
- After a couple minutes, when the spinach is wilted, you can add the bacon bits and the whisked eggs.
- Give everything a good sprinkle of salt and pepper, (heavier on the pepper than salt, you already have salty bacon!).
- Stir until the eggs are your desired done-ness.
- Serve with avocado, hot sauce, and some potatoes on the side!