Cue the hallelujah chorus because this one is EPIC. Best-thing-I’ve-ever-ate epic, (although Taylor tells me I say that about everything).
We’re talking layers of hash browns, egg, cheese, maple sausage, onions, more cheese, and bacon. The stuff of breakfast legend.
My mom just made this for us Christmas morning and I can safely say I ate about half the pan (serving size: 6). I knew I had to make this when I got home with the addition of bacon and some maple syrup because why not? I already picture this being my go-to breakfast recipe for company or even as a gift, (it’s easy to pre-assemble, refrigerate, and then bake off later!)
These pictures are making my stomach rumble. Thank god I have leftovers!
Ahh, that’s what happiness looks like. Now who’s ready for a nap?
Sweet and Spicy Hash Brown and Sausage Breakfast Casserole
Recipe type: Breakfast
Serves: 6 servings
- 6 strips bacon, fried and crumbled
- 1 lb. pork sausage
- 2 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 small onion, diced
- Salt and pepper
- Red pepper flakes
- Cooking spray or butter, for greasing the pan
- 2 lb. bag frozen hash browns, thawed
- 5 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ tsp. onion powder
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- 12 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
- Hot sauce, for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Fry 5 strips of bacon in a large frying pan until deep golden brown and crispy. Cool on a paper towel, and then crumble.
- Drain bacon fat, and return pan over medium heat.
- Add the sausage, maple syrup, and onion to the pan. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and a pinch of red pepper flakes, (more if your family can handle it!). Stir and break apart the sausage with a wooden spoon until it's no longer pink and in small crumbles.
- Grease a large baking dish (at least two quarts) with cooking spray or butter.
- Add the hash browns in a layer on the bottom.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, onion and garlic powder. Season with salt and pepper. Pour over hash browns.
- Top hash browns with ½ the shredded cheese.
- Put the sausage and onions in a single layer over the hash browns and cheese. Sprinkle the rest of the cheese over the sausage layer.
- Sprinkle the crumbled bacon over the top layer.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 1 hour.
- After an hour, remove the foil and bake 10 more minutes until a knife comes out clean from the center of the casserole.
- Serve with hot sauce!