Meet the Rice Crispy Treat’s peanut buttery cousin. Make these scrumptious peanut butter marshmallow Cheerios bars from things you probably already have in your pantry! Perfect for breakfast or a sweet treat.
So last month Taylor and I went on vacation to the Outer Banks in North Carolina. My family has a small beach condo that I’ve been going to since I was born and I think of it as my second home. One of the things I love about the Outer Banks is the non-commercialized-ness of the place; where we stay, there is no fast food or chain restaurants and the shops are small and local. All that being said, after our ten hour drive, I set out to grocery shop for the week for breakfasts, lunches, and snacks.
Aren’t we all still really 5-years old at heart? Who doesn’t love rice crispy treats and all their marshmallow-y cereal treat cousins. Hello, peanut butter marshmallow Cheerios bars, you’ve come to save the day. I’ll even consider you healthy since Cheerios are good for you and peanut butter is decent for you. Let’s just forget about the butter and marshmallows. It’s a solid breakfast food, and you better believe I ate these for breakfasts AND desserts the rest of the week.
- 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 10-oz. package of marshmallows
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- 6 cups Cheerios cereal
- Grease a 13x9-inch baking pan with cooking spray or butter.
- Melt the butter in a large pot over low heat. Once the butter has melted, add the marshmallows and cook, stirring, until the marshmallows have melted. Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and stir in the peanut butter and Cheerios until they are well coated.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan, pressing it firmly into an even layer.
- Let the bars cool to room temperature, then use a knife to cut into 12 squares.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container at room temperature.