This 20 minute steak fajita skillet is a quick, one-pot, low-carb meal that will satisfy every single one of your Tex Mex cravings.
Your girl here is a full-blown taco freak. I’m talking once a week AT LEAST they are on my menu at home. ((You can check out my extensive collection of taco recipes here))
And I’m not going to lie, my preferred method is typically the slow cooker because I’m a busy human, (who isn’t) but I knew there had to be another easy way to make tacos. Sheet pan was risky because the steak and peppers might need different amounts of time. And then genius struck: 20 minute steak fajita skillet!!!
One trusty cast iron skillet. 2o minutes. Easy as can be. The peppers get to soak up all those wonderful crusty steak bits at the bottom of the pan and life is good.
Pro tip: make this recipe fast fast fast by chopping your veggies while the steak cooks. The steak is a couple batches about 2 minutes a side, so you have plenty of minutes in between to slice peppers and onions.
- 1 lb skirt steak, sliced into ¼" thick strips, (cut against the grain to keep the steak tender)
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 lime, zested
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- 1 Tbsp dried cilantro
- ½ Tbsp cumin
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper, (adjust for taste- this stuff is hot!)
- 1 Tbsp vegetable or canola oil
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cored, seeded, and sliced
- 1 poblano pepper, cored, seeded, and sliced
- 1 red onion, peeled, halved, and sliced
- 1 jalapeno, sliced into rounds
- 1 avocado, pit and skin removed, sliced
- Optional toppings: lime wedges, fresh cilantro, warm tortillas, sour cream, shredded cheese, shredded lettuce, salsa
- Heat a large skillet, (I like cast iron) over medium heat. Add oil and let it get hot.
- Make the seasoning: in a small bowl combine salt, pepper, lime zest, chili powder, paprika, dried cilantro, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, and cayenne.
- Coat the steak strips all over with all the seasoning mix.
- Add the strips of steak to the pan in batches. Make sure the pan isn't crowded; none of the steak should be touching. Cook the steak 1-2 minutes per side and transfer to a paper towel lined plate to drain until all the steak is cooked.
- You can chop all the veggies while the steak cooks to save time.
- Add the red and yellow bell peppers, onion, and poblano to the pan where you cooked the steak. Season with salt and pepper. Stir, cooking, for about 5 minutes until the veggies get soft and start to brown.
- Stir the steak back in the pan to warm, and stir in the jalapeño slices if desired.
- Serve warm with sliced avocado for a filling, low-carb meal. Add any optional toppings you desire.
- Alternatively, you can serve with rice or warm tortillas.