Slow Cooker Spaghetti Squash and Homemade Meatballs simmer in the crockpot together to keep dinner simple, healthy, and delicious!
I simply adore spaghetti squash. It’s so versatile and satisfying, I PROMISE you won’t even notice the pasta is missing. I also completely adore my slow cooker. Who knew you could make “spaghetti” and meatballs in a crockpot?!
This is seriously the most amazing healthy, no-carb, “skinny”, diet-licious dinner you’ve ever had, and it’s totally fancy enough for a Sunday dinner. You could always cook up some spaghetti noodles for the carb lovers. Plus, these homemade meatballs are my whole heart ♥ Serve with a simple green side salad and a big fat glass of wine. Enjoy 🙂
For more information, and an in-depth guide to spaghetti squash, click here!
- 1 lb. lean ground beef or turkey
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- 1 egg, cracked and whisked
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese, plus more for topping
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, finely chopped, plus more for topping
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Splash Of Milk
- 2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 4 cups marinara, (about 2 jars worth or homemade*)
- 1 large or 2 small spaghetti squash
- For the meatballs: combine meat, garlic, breadcrumbs, parmesan, egg, salt, pepper, parsley, and a splash of milk in a mixing bowl. Mix together well with hands. Roll into ~16 meatballs and place on a baking sheet.
- To brown the meatballs, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add 6 meatballs at a time, turning to brown them on all sides. Remove from the skillet and drain them on a paper towel. Set meatballs aside.
- Pour one cup of marinara sauce into the bottom of a 6 qt. slow cooker.
- Slice the spaghetti squash in half around it's middle, (not from stem to end). Scoop out the seeds, and place cut-side-down into the slow cooker on the sauce.
- Arrange the meatballs around the spaghetti squash in the slow cooker, and top the meatballs with one more cup of marinara sauce.
- Cover, and cook on low heat for 6 hours.
- When it's done cooking, remove the spaghetti squash and (carefully, it's hot!) scoop out the insides with a fork. Pull the spaghetti squash strands apart so they resemble spaghetti.
- Plate a serving of the spaghetti squash topped with 4 meatballs. Top with more warmed marinara, (don't use the marinara from the slow cooker- it gets watery) parmesan cheese, and parsley.
*Homemade marinara recipe, (it’s way easier than you think!): Sauté 1 diced white onion in 1 Tbsp. of olive oil in a large pot over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add 3 cloves of garlic, and cook one more minute. Pour in half a cup of good, dry red wine, (whatever you would drink) and let simmer down until all the liquid evaporates, about 3 minutes. Stir in a 28 oz. can of crushed tomatoes, 1 Tbsp. of freshly chopped parsley, 1 Tbsp. salt, freshly cracked black pepper, 1 Tbsp. sugar, and a big pinch of red pepper flakes. Cover, and simmer on low for 15 minutes. For an added, creamy bonus, stir in 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese. Adapted from Ina Garten’s recipe.