Did you know you can make mashed potatoes in a crockpot? Did you know this makes Thanksgiving, (or any day) prep like 1,000 times easier? Mashed potatoes always feel stressful because you have to do them at the last minute, watch the boiling water, and scramble to pull everything together. Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes are the complete opposite. Knock ’em out early, put it on warm until you’re ready to serve. My love for the humble crockpot knows no bounds.
Ally, why do you have those glorious slow cooker mashed potatoes in a janky metal bowl, you ask? Because I made Thanksgiving on Sunday for the first time in my life and I totally ran out of pretty serving bowls. Who knew. Janky 4 lyfe.
>> Find out how to make Thanksgiving for the first time here<<
So here’s the rundown: you prep your potatoes like normal. I completely and 100% recommend using yukon gold potatoes. Peel ’em and dice them into 1″ pieces. Plunk them in your crockpot.
Add a little cooking liquid to help it steam; chicken broth works really well, but veggie broth or water would work too in a pinch.
Cover those babies with a bunch of salt, pepper, butter, and garlic.
Next, you just put the lid on and let them go on “high” for about 2-3 hours depending on how small you diced the potatoes. Then, just mash away, business as usual, you might just want to add a touch of cream or milk.
Hello, love. Yes, I made 8 servings of potatoes for 2 people.
- 3 lbs yukon gold potatoes, peeled and diced into 1" cubes
- 1 tbsp salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 4 garlic cloves, minced if raw, or whole if roasted
- 1 stick of butter, sliced into thin tabs
- ¼ cup milk or cream, to taste
- Peel and dice potatoes into 1" cubes. Place in the crockpot with ½ cup chicken broth, and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle garlic and butter on top of the potatoes. Cover, and cook on "high" for 2-3 hours, or until potatoes are fork tender.
- Mash the potatoes with a hand masher or hand mixer, adding a splash of milk or cream one at a time until the potatoes are your desired consistency.