Good morning 🙂 Today makes me happy because it’s finally cold at night, sleep with the windows open and pile on the blankets , chilly scarf weather. The best weather if you ask me, as I have an extensive collection of scarves and a mild obsession with furry blankets.
I say all this because it is CLEARLY not summertime tomato season, yet I am posting a recipe about the bomb.com tomato salsa. But guess what- I have a trick for you to make the most out of your sour, out-of-season tomatoes! Sugar. Yep, I said it. A little pinch of sugar over those babies will bring out their natural sweetness like it’s summertime again. I’ve added sugar as an ingredient in this recipe because of that, but if you’re making this in the summer and have to-die-for ripe, juicy, bright red tomatoes just ignore it.
So, like I just mentioned, here are 4 tips for easier, better pico de gallo (fancy name for salsa):
- A pinch of sugar when your tomatoes are out of season
- Microwave your limes for 30 seconds to make them as juicy as possible
- Use a pizza cutter to cut up fresh cilantro (or any herb), it’s just so much easier
- My rule of thumb: # of people eating salsa= # of tomatoes you need. Adjust the recipe ratios accordingly.
Also, keep in mind that if you TRULY want this to be a copycat recipe, then you need to scrape your seeds and ribs out of the jalapeño to ensure it’s mild. If you’re like me, you leave them in and feel the burn. It’s up to you 😉
- 4 vine ripe tomatoes, diced into ¼" pieces
- 1 red onion, diced into ¼" pieces
- 1 jalapeno, diced, (scrape out the seeds and ribs inside for true mild salsa, leave them in for hotter salsa)
- Juice of 2 limes
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- a pinch of black pepper
- 1 tsp sugar
- In a medium bowl combine all ingredients!
- Let chill, covered, in the fridge until ready to eat.
Check out my other copycat chipotle recipes!