Who would have thought the “best thing I make” would be a salad?
But really, my burger-and-fries only boyfriend requests this grilled chicken and corn salad with honey mustard ranch dressing weekly. The dressing and the spice rub for the chicken are what makes this so great, and that I can’t take credit for. Seriously, honey mustard AND ranch? Genius. And the spice rub will rock your tastebuds.
If you haven’t purchased Chrissy Teigen’s cookbook yet, do so immediately. It changed my life. Her description in the book for this salad is, “I know this salad is good because it gets more Instagram likes than my boobs.” Everything in here is so delicious and hilarious to read.
Cravings by Chrissy Teigen
Grilled Chicken and Corn Salad with Honey Mustard Ranch Dressing
I’m not the hugest fan of cobb salad ingredients like hard boiled egg and cherry tomatoes, so I put an Ally spin on it with veggies I like. I also grilled the chicken and the corn for next-level deliciousness. I HIGHLY recommend the grilling part. I also highly recommend drinking wine and lounging while someone else grills for you 😉 Thanks Tay!
- For the chicken and corn:
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1½ tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- ¾ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp thyme leaves
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 ears of corn, (or 1 cup canned/frozen kernels)
- For the dressing:
- ¼ cup mayonnaise, (or greek yogurt/ avocado/ other substitute)
- ¼ cup buttermilk, (or scant ¼ cup milk with a splash of white vinegar)
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp honey
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ⅛ tsp onion powder
- ⅛ tsp paprika
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- For the salad:
- 1 bag butter lettuce
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- ½ cucumber, diced
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Heat a skillet over medium-low heat and fry the bacon.
- Brine the chicken breast by placing it in a large bowl and covering it with warm water and ¼ cup of salt. Allow to rest 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the seasoning mix. Combine 1½ tsp paprika, 1 tsp salt, ¾ tsp ground cumin, ¼ tsp thyme leaves, ¼ freshly ground black pepper, and ¼ tsp cayenne pepper on a small plate or bowl.
- Next, make the dressing. In a small bowl or jar, mix ¼ cup mayonnaise, ¼ cup buttermilk, 1 tbsp Dijon mustard, 1 tsp honey, ¼ tsp dried oregano, ¼ tsp garlic powder, ⅛ tsp onion powder, ⅛ tsp paprika, a pinch of cayenne pepper, ¼ tsp salt, and ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper. Chill in the fridge until ready to serve. If covered, this dressing is amazing on everything for up to a week in the fridge.
- Chop the bell pepper and cucumber, and grate the parmesan cheese if need be.
- Now, remove the chicken from the brine and pat dry. Season the chicken breasts all over with about ¾ of the seasoning mixture. Use the rest of the seasoning to sprinkle over the ears of corn.
- If grilling, heat the grill over medium-high heat. Start the chicken on the top rack, cooking 5 minutes on each side, then move to the bottom to char the outside about 3 more minutes, or until cooked through. The corn can cook on the bottom rack for the full 15 minutes, as long as you turn it so all sides are evenly cooked. If you are baking the chicken and corn, heat an oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil and coat with a drizzle of olive oil or non-stick spray, and roast the chicken and corn for 15-20 minutes, or until cooked through. Make sure to turn the corn halfway through if on the cob.
- Cut the corn from the cob and slice the chicken.
- To assemble the salad, begin with 2 cups of butter lettuce, add half the diced red bell pepper, ½ the diced cucumber, 2 slices of crumbled bacon, ½ the corn, and sliced grilled chicken. Top with half the dressing and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese.