It’s summer in Atlanta, and these spicy coca cola pulled pork tacos are fit for a true Georgia Peach.
When I think Atlanta, I think Coca Cola and Peaches. Seriously, every road here is Peachtree something. Since slow cooker tacos are a weekly staple in my house, I was trying to figure out a fun twist. Spicy coca cola pulled pork tacos with peach salsa came to me almost immediately. We have lots of Coke in our fridge, I LOVE sweet and spicy combos, and peaches are in season- this one was a no brainer! Juicy pulled pork slow cooked in sweet, bubbly coca cola, spicy and smokey chipotle peppers, and topped with a tangy and colorful peach salsa.
I mean, come on. Look at how irresistible this looks after working hard in that slow cooker all day for you.
Now shred it up…oh yeah…
And the salsa! It’s seriously so pretty. Save yourself the mess, (and some serious heartache) by using thawed frozen peaches. Judge me for it, but whatever. I have never successfully skinned and diced a fresh peach to where it looks appetizing.
All together? Georgia magic.
- For the pork tacos:
- 1 5-lb pork shoulder (Boston Butt)
- salt and pepper
- 1 can Coca Cola
- 4 oz can of chipotle peppers in adobo
- 1 white onion, peeled and chopped into eighths
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 1 bay leaf
- 10-20 sprigs of fresh cilantro
- Pack of flour or corn tortillas
- For the Peach Salsa:
- Bag frozen peaches, thawed and diced
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 2 limes, juiced
- salt and pepper
- Fresh cilantro, chopped
- Season the pork shoulder generously with salt and pepper. Place in the bottom of a slow cooker.
- To the slow cooker, add 1 can coca cola, the chipotle peppers, onion, garlic, the bay lead, and cilantro. Cover, and cook on low heat for 8 hours.
- For the peach salsa, dice the peaches, (frozen peaches, slightly thawed, are much easier to dice than fresh!) onion, and jalapeno. Make sure they are all similarly sized, and add them to a bowl. Add lime juice, salt and pepper, and fresh cilantro to taste. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- When the pork is finished, remove it to a cutting board and shred with two forks. Place the shredded pork back into the sauce.
- Fill a warm tortilla with pork, peach salsa, and any other topping you like! The pork is spicy, so avocado, sour cream, lettuce, and cheese are all good options.