Spicy slow cooked chicken. Bubbly, golden baked cheese.
T has been traveling for work this week and he is FINALLY home. Seems like the perfect night for our favorite meal: tacos! Usually we do soft shell, but I’m in the mood to switch it up. Crunchy, baked chicken tacos with ooey gooey bubbling cheese is exactly what I need after a long week.
Are you drooling yet?
My trick with hard shell tacos is simple:
Don’t fill them up with ingredients until the last second or they will get mushy and collapse. That’s why I get the cheese all melty brown in the slow cooker, bake the shells separately, and then put the filling in at the end. Trust me. They will be crunchy and gooey and perfect.
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1.5 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1- 14oz can diced tomatoes
- 1- 4 oz can diced hot green chiles
- 10-pack Old El Paso stand-n-stuff hard shell tacos
- 1 can refried beans
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese
- Your favorite taco toppings, (sour cream, salsa, cilantro, diced onion, shredded lettuce, etc.)
- Combine first 8 ingredients in a small bowl, and use it to coat the chicken breast all over.
- Place the seasoned chicken, diced tomatoes, and green chiles in a slow cooker. Cook for 3 hours on high heat or 7 hours on low heat. Shred chicken with two forks, and return to the slow cooker. Add shredded cheese to top layer of chicken, and let cook for 30 more minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place the taco shells in the baking dish standing up.
- Bake for 6-8 minutes, until golden.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon of refried beans to the base of each taco shell. Add chicken and cheese mixture evenly into shells, shaking off excess liquid. Top each taco generously with shredded cheese and your favorite ingredients! I like sour cream, shredded lettuce, salsa, diced onion, and cilantro.